|BMW roadside assistance
||[May. 31st, 2008|11:20 am]
My motorcycle is "parked" in a 2 hour zone, so I thought I'd wake up early this morning and get it towed. I called BMW Roadside Assistance.
Highlights thus far include:
- them not calling 5-10 minutes before arrival, as stated, but rather angry tow truck guy who beat me there calling me, not understanding why I wasn't there.
- canceling plan to shower and instead rush to the intersection with crazy morning hair
- tow truck guy wasn't actually there, but rather 1 block away
- tow truck guy not having a flatbed, so he couldn't tow a motorcycle.
- calling roadside assistance again, waiting on hold forever, only to have...
- Roadside assistance guy doubting me and then explaining "that's not how it works" that the tow truck driver said he never heard anything about motorcycles and took off and wasn't coming back.
I'd just call a tow truck place myself and avoid these twenty levels of indirections & suck if it weren't for that I'd then have to pay for it myself.
Why not just take the battery in for a swap, or find a friend with a pickup truck and/or bike trailer. I know some people if you can't find anyone, but they'd probably want to be compensated for gas.
alternatively, I'd be happy to "ride" on it shortly before it breaks, then use my AAA Plus (which includes motorcycle for any vehicle I'm a pax on). If so, then you were the pax :)
2008-05-31 07:05 pm (UTC)
See previous comments. I don't think it's just the battery.
Plus, the battery is a pain in the ass to get to. I did it once and it involved removing a lot of parts and a lot of screws.
I also have AAA.
Ah, yes, I saw that. Although, once you run down a battery, it's usually fucked even if you recharge it, especially for OEM motorcycle batteries.
Fresh battery + dead alternator should still work for a while, but the difficulty of pulling it...
AAA Plus is pretty nice.
You could try calling BMW again and acting like the bike is parked in an unsafe area, you fear for your life, etc., so they need to send a motorcycle tow person right away. I think if nothing else, LOLs will ensue.
oh, ya, and 60$ flat rate in SF.