Brad Fitzpatrick (brad) wrote,
Brad Fitzpatrick

An errand, the details.

As if my rant from earlier wasn't fun enough, here I go again ... after class I was too tired to bike home, so I sat in the lab and got caught up on email. After that I rode home and set out on a mission to ship one of my broken monitors back to ADI. This mission is particularly difficult because a) I don't have the original box, b) the monitor weighs 63 pounds, doesn't fit in my backpack or on my bike, and c) there's no place to park in Seattle.

So, I drive to Safeway, park there, and carry the 63 pound monitor around the block (quite some distance) and go to some mailboxes/shipping place... you know the type. Turns out the monitor is too big for any of their boxes. So, I carry the monitor back around the block and into my car.

I drive to kinkos... they don't do packaging, just shipping. They did just remodel, however, so the guy gives me a box they had... 20" cubed. My monitor is 19"x20"x18".... it'd fit, but without any styrofoam or bubble wrap. I thank the guy, but have to leave and go find another place.

I pay to park a block or so away from another packaging/shipping place... It's run by some Asian guy that doesn't speak much English and his son (about my age) that speaks perfect English without a hint of an accent.... you know the type of store. Anyway, they have a box that's 25"x25"x20" ... good enough. The monitor's already broken, who cares if it breaks a little more in transit, right? It actually worked out pretty well because I was able to take off the base of the monitor to make it smaller. (remember this). We packed it up and addressed it and wrote the RMA number all over it... everything the ADI people said to do. While I was helping pack the box a girl came in and got in the passport photo chair right behind me, but I didn't hear her come in... I stood up and kinda bumped into her. I apologized and we talked a bit. Turns out she's going to Napal. Interesting. I paid for everything ($46.99 shipping for a monitor I bought for $550 that was later selling for $350) and took off.

I got coffee from Espresso Roma, next door. There was a really cute girl working there. I was surprised I didn't recognize anybody sitting down in there.... usually I run into people there. Anyway, I went back to the car, paid for my parking, and left.

Came home (after sitting in traffic at every light), parked the car in my small little parking spot, and spilled my coffee all over the floor mat in my car. Luckily it was contained to just the mat.

Oh, guess what I forgot? I left the monitor base back at the shipping place. I decide to bike there instead this time.... I got there more than twice as quick as it did to drive the first time, and coming back likewise.

With luck I'll have a fixed or new monitor in a few weeks.

Now, time for the next errand. Then homework, then more homework....
Tags: bike

  • Ukraine

    Nobody reads my LiveJournal anymore, but thank you to everybody in Russia protesting Putin's insane war against Ukraine. (I know it's risky…

  • Happy Birthday!

    Happy 20th Birthday, LiveJournal! 🐐🎂🎉

  • hi

    Posting from the iPhone app. Maybe I'm unblocked now.

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.