|current mood: pissed off at everything.
||[Nov. 3rd, 2000|09:48 am]
physics midterm: flunked it. i've never done so horribly on a midterm. i studied last night and this morning starting at 6:30, but everything i took notes for and studied wasn't on the test... everything that was on the test I had no clue how to do. left a bunch blank. guessed on a bunch. maybe got one answer right. scott was pissed because he did so poor on his db midterm... well, i win for fucking it up on midterms with this one. goddamn .... too many classes. i don't care about any of them when I get this spread out.|
so many things are pissing me off: where my phone? lost it again. probably in my car somewhere. oh, my car--- fucking scratch, dirty as hell (from parking under the tree that drops apples and drips sap), smells like mildew and coffee inside from spilling coffee last week... needs to be washed inside and out. livejournal -- so slow, bitch to work on because it's so slow. no time to work on it because of school. my room's a mess ... bed's unmade from blythe puking all over it still. i don't even want to make it again because the sheets never fit anyway. the mattress is extra large or something, so my hand-me-down standard-sized sheets don't work. i need new bedding. fuck that... don't feel like spending money. spent money on my computer parts and i fucked that up too: while investigating what part was making the high pitch whistling noises that drove me insane so much I found it was my 15gb harddrive, which sucks because there's really no way to "fix" it... i wish it was the processor fan or something cheap. but then, i spun around on my plastic rolley computer mat to grab that damn thing to see if that'd shut it up (by applying pressur), I grabbed without thinking the bottom of my 60gb harddrive and shocked the hell out of it... now it makes weird thunking noises and locks up the operating system when I try to use it. oh, and guess where I backed up my entire linux harddrive when I reformatted it the other day? yup. so now a shitload of my data is potentially gone. i said fuck it and ignored the problem yesterday to study for physics, but we know how fucking well that went. GRRRrrrrrrrrrrr.
Weird thunking noises are NOT good. Save as much data as you can! That drive's a goner.
2000-11-03 02:51 pm (UTC)
Se la vive
hey Brad, deep breathe....breathe in....breathe out....
seems to me like you're over-working yourself, man. Too much comin down all at once. Been there, done that. Best solution, prioritize:
1) Fix the bed problem first. It's simple and probably less stressful.
2) Midterms? Been there, done that too. Again, deep breath.
3) Car....$15-$20 to get it cleaned at a car cleaners. IT costs, but then the problem is taken care of
4) Hard Drive...you're geeky enough to know how to handle the situation, ie. bootdisks, partitions all that stuff. Does it have a warranty? Is there any way that you can get to any of the data on the hard drive? Think as positively as you can. If what's on the hard drive is REALLY that important to you, you can just hit Google and dig up a hdd-data-recovery vendor in your area. you can get a 30.7 gig Maxtor (5600 rpm, *sob*) for $101.... Anyway, I just thought I'd help ease the pain....(Linux decided to fdisk my 4000-song mp3 collection drive....so hey, it happens to all of us)
5) We all understand about the LiveJournal problem. Get to it when you can, but don't kill yourself over it. People need to remember that you hold the power to delete accounts at will... ;) hehe.
6) Chop down the apple tree.
2000-11-03 07:11 pm (UTC)
Re: Se la vive
1) It's actually the problem I mind the least. I don't mind sleeping on the mattress.
2) I don't even care about this, really. We can drop one too, I remembered.
3) Yeah, I was going to do this today but traffic was so bad when I had free time. Probably tomorrow morning.
4) It looks like I did get all my data off. In the future (maybe the really soon future), I'm going to use redudant disks and RAID1.
5) heh. yeah. :)
6) We're going to... need to figure out if it's legal yet (as we don't own the place)
2000-11-03 10:04 pm (UTC)
Re: Se la vive
OC, not helpful. I think he knew he was fucked.
Anyway, here's my advice.
Get away from it for the weekend. Grab some buds and head for the hills. Don't bring your books, don't bring your computer. Don't worry about Physics or Live Journal - if it crashes this weekend, you can deal with it when you get back. Go relax - drink some beer, have FUN. You are a college student. Enjoy being young.
When you get back - make a plan of attack, and don't try and tackle everything at once - solve one problem at a time. Reward yourself when you do. Realize that you are a cool guy, that a lot of people are supportive of, and don't let yourself get stressed. You bit off a lot. Spit some of it out for a while.
Most of all, good luck.
i work in the rma department of a computer consulting firm, if the drive is new (is it?) then why don't you just call the manufacturer and have them swap it? i do hard drive returns every day. the turn around is like, a week.
i don't know if this suggestion helps at all, but please remember that it was made with good intentions :)
the drive seems to be doing a little better now, and i've got my data off of it.
besides, to do an RMA I'd have to drive back to portland, fill out paperwork, wait, etc etc etc. i'm not down with that. besides, it was pretty much my fault.
What do you have to be in Portland to fill out an RMA for? WD should let you do it live on the web, they'll send you a replacement out before they get the broken one back. Good company.