I now have an Icecast server on my main computer, and XMMS on there with the Liveice plugin, feeding it a 44 Khz 256 Kbps stereo stream. Then, from the laptop in the living room, I play the stream over wireless, turn off HTTP streaming buffering and OSS buffering, and the latency is now under a quarter second. Still... that kinda sucks. For two reasons: 1) The latency is enough to be annoying at certain points in the house. But I guess it works if I turn off the speakers in my computer room and just use it for remote control. (might serve as a substitute for the TV Evas interface? No! Must finish interface in time for Evan's arrival! :P) 2) It's re-encoding everything. This is probably the biggest cause for the latency, and it kills the quality. I just want to multiplex /dev/dsp over the network. In any case, a fun diversion. Back to a productive project.