||[Aug. 30th, 2002|05:19 pm]
Today is anti-noise day, where I eliminate computer noise, as much as possible.|
* Vacuumed out a gallon of dust from my case.
* Realized it's my three disk drives making the high-pitched noise. The fan is loud, but low-pitch, so tolerable. hdparm -[yY] makes things so quiet! Three drives are system disk, and two for a RAID1 array.
* Decided to move guest room computer to entry way closet, being the dedicated boot & file server. My desktop won't have hard drives powered up at all.
* Bought a Linksys gateway/router thing, so I can turn off my desktop at night and still wake up at 3am randomly and use the wireless on my TiBook. Plus, Tivo will then be able to update whenever, even if my computer's off.
* Bought a 54" flexible drill bit to drill down into the crawl space and start running ethernet all around the house. Failed miserably there.... hit a truss the first time, hit something else the second time... gonna put that off for awhile. Have to stop making holes in my house. In the meantime, stapled 3"x5" notecard over the holes. Problem solved!
* Bought a bunch of ethernet ends, since I'd run out. Now I can make more cables to run through the hall.
I'm installing Debian now on the closet server. It had a scary OS on it before (no, not Windows) and I have to get back to sanity land before I setup all the DHCP/TFTP/etc stuff on it.