November 8th, 2004

belize

Iraqi Love

I know a great way to secure peace in Iraq.... BLOW UP THEIR NEWLY-CONSTRUCTED HOSPITALS!!!
American commanders regarded the reports as inflated, but it was impossible to determine independently how many civilians had been killed. The hospital was selected as an early target because the American military believed that it was the source of rumors about heavy casualties.

"It's a center of propaganda," a senior American officer said Sunday.
http://www.empirenotes.org/november04.html#08nov041
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/08/international/middleeast/08falluja.html
belize

encrypted filesystem

My file server at home has a number of disks, 2 of which are notable:

SATA 250GB -- /dev/sda
SATA 250GB -- /dev/sdb

I'd partioned both disks into sd[ab][12], with partition one being 100 GB, and partition two being 150 GB.

I'd mirrored /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 as /dev/md0 and have been ext3 atop that for some time for all my storage.

The remaining 150 GB per disk has just sat there. A few times I've used it for benchmarks, but it needed a new purpose.

Today I mirrored /dev/sd[ab]2 into /dev/md1 and then added /dev/md1 to an LVM volume group called "sata_raid".

From "sata_raid" VG I then created a 40GB logical volume (LV) called "e1b" -- encrypted 1 base.

Atop that, I ran dm-crypt/dmsetup and made an AES-encyrpted block device /dev/mapper/e1.

Atop that, I made an XFS filesystem and mounted it.

So far, all good.

Then I rsynced a bunch of data onto the encrypted mount and I lost my connection to my home machine.

I'm curious what happened, but I guess I won't find out until later today.
belize

find the bug

We discovered yesterday that almost all comments in the past year in the database have metadata attached to them saying, "No subject icon!", which is useless... that's the default.

Whitaker found the bug:
1.45 (martine 08-Jul-03): my $subjecticon = "";
1.45 (martine 08-Jul-03): if ($form->{'subjecticon'} ne "none" ||
                              $form->{'subjecticon'} ne "") {
1.45 (martine 08-Jul-03):     $subjecticon = LJ::trim(lc($form->{'subjecticon'}));
1.45 (martine 08-Jul-03): }

Heh.