||[Nov. 8th, 2004|02:23 pm]
My file server at home has a number of disks, 2 of which are notable:|
SATA 250GB -- /dev/sda
SATA 250GB -- /dev/sdb
I'd partioned both disks into sd[ab], with partition one being 100 GB, and partition two being 150 GB.
I'd mirrored /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 as /dev/md0 and have been ext3 atop that for some time for all my storage.
The remaining 150 GB per disk has just sat there. A few times I've used it for benchmarks, but it needed a new purpose.
Today I mirrored /dev/sd[ab]2 into /dev/md1 and then added /dev/md1 to an LVM volume group called "sata_raid".
From "sata_raid" VG I then created a 40GB logical volume (LV) called "e1b" -- encrypted 1 base.
Atop that, I ran dm-crypt/dmsetup and made an AES-encyrpted block device /dev/mapper/e1.
Atop that, I made an XFS filesystem and mounted it.
So far, all good.
Then I rsynced a bunch of data onto the encrypted mount and I lost my connection to my home machine.
I'm curious what happened, but I guess I won't find out until later today.