brad's life [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Brad Fitzpatrick

[ website | bradfitz.com ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Losing an entry due to Mac/Safari? [Apr. 1st, 2006|04:19 pm]
Brad Fitzpatrick
[Tags|, ]

My previous entry was temporarily lost, read this:


After I found the entry in the pcap file and went to decode the form encoding to re-post it, I find this, the cause of the UTF-8 bug:


Notice the %10 in there? That's not a valid UTF-8 byte, at least in the strict interpretation, which expat follows. Why the hell did Safari send it? Did I type something weird? Still.

From: brionv
2006-04-02 02:03 am (UTC)
Well, it is valid UTF-8, but it's an ASCII control character that's not allowed to appear in XML. No idea why it would appear in input...
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: sigizmund
2006-04-02 04:40 am (UTC)
As commenter below has already told, this is valid symbol from UTF-8 point of view, but invalid - from XMLs (as far as I remember ASCII from top 12 should be encoded using CDATA tag - correct me if I wrong?). So an only workaround I see at the moment is to process data on the server.

But this still does not solve the question - for what a hell Safari wants to send this %10 to server :)))
(Reply) (Thread)
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]From: brad
2006-04-02 07:57 am (UTC)
Just when I'm debugging stuff. I didn't start capturing my traffic until I realized it was a good last resort: Safari still had the POST data in its cache, and reloading kept re-POSTing, so I figured I could get back my post cleanly. Better than running strings on /dev/kmem or something and sorting through that crap.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
(Deleted comment)
[User Picture]From: brad
2006-04-03 05:53 am (UTC)
I ran tcpdump on OS X, saving the file to a mounted Linux box, then ran ethereal from there using OS X's X server. (been too lazy to install ethereal for OS X, since remote X over gigabit is fine....)
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)